Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Assignment...A Gift from God

I leave for Papua New Guinea in just five short days! I must say that I am experiencing a plethora of emotions at this point. As my departure rapidly approaches, God has begun to turn my nerves into excitement. This morning I received an email from my team leaders explaining to me briefly what my assignment will be in PNG. I will fly into the capital of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby, then traveling to Madang for ten days for the Pacific Orientation Course. During orientation, I will be learning Tok Pisin, one of the many languages of Papua New Guinea. After orientation, I will travel to Wycliffe's Mission base in Ukarumpa for a few days before heading out to the Wiebe's village and the Bola Bible dedication ceremony. After this dedication, there will be a SALT course. SALT (Scripture Application and Leadership Training) is designed to help the people understand what the Bible says and learn how to use their own scriptures. There will be 19 lessons during this course and I have been asked to teach two lessons covering salvation. I will be a part of a team consisting of about five teachers and I will be teaching the lessons in English with a local translator. After the SALT course, I will travel back to Ukarumpa and will have the opportunity to sit in on a few days of the Trauma Healing workshop. Before heading back home to the States, my team and I will have a few days of debriefing via Cairns, Australia. 

Wow! I am so excited for this amazing opportunity that I can hardly stand it! Although I still have some nerves (and even more new ones regarding my assignment!) I am completely at peace, going forth in confidence as my Lord goes before me. This is His work and I just get to be a part of it! How gracious of Him to use someone so unworthy! 

A few prayer requests I have as I prepare to embark on my journey abroad: please pray for a smooth transition into the countries of New Zealand, Australia, and Papua New Guinea (concerning visas, luggage, making flights on time, etc.). Also please pray for my intense fear of snakes (this sounds ridiculous I know but I just recently had a near panic attack about this last night!). Please pray for my complete trust and dependence on the Lord and His sovereignty knowing that whatever happens, it is for my good and His glory. Please pray for the hearts of the people I will be teaching that God would grant them understanding and give them the gift of faith. Finally please pray that I would have a "Mary heart." By that I mean pray that I would not neglect to seek first to sit at the feet of Jesus and that I would not overwhelm myself with busy tasks. Pray that I choose first that which is most important: time with Jesus. 

I have been informed that there is a good chance I will not have much access to the internet, so with that said, I will try my best to keep everyone as updated as I can! I ask for your many prayers and I thank you so much for being with me on this journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment